Expediting your Marriage Certificate
Normally it can take up to 12 weeks (a bit quicker if you apply on line) for your Marriage Licence to be processed and the Marriage Certificate to be issued
The following may assist in expediting the process and shorten processing times to obtain your Marriage Certificate (at times) to 2-6 weeks.
- Get your Marriage Licence from any City Hall and/or Municipal Office in Ontario (application for the licence) Download the Marriage Licence Application form (PDF)
- Apply for your marriage certificate immediately online https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-get-copy-ontario-marriage-certificate-online
- Yes, that’s right, apply for your marriage certificate on the morning that you are getting married having your paperwork completed (it won’t work prior to this, it has to be on the day you’re getting married). You will get the order number on the receipt at the end. Print this page, or simply take note of this number for your letter.
- Write a letter stating your urgency for expediting your marriage licence in order to receive your certificate.
- In the letter, state your Marriage Licence Number (starts with a G and is at the top right corner of your Marriage Licence in red) and the order number you received when you applied applying for your Marriage Certificate online.
- Scan/print copies of any documents which support your urgency (if any): passports, visas, airline tickets, wedding invitations, employment letters
- Get an Xpresspost Envelope from Canada Post.
Bring your Marriage Licence, letter of urgency, supporting documents (if any), and the Xpresspost envelope with you.
I’ll send your Marriage Licence and documents to the Office of the Registrar General.
Please note: The Office of the Registrar General is the one who ultimately determines the validity and priority of your need to expedite your Marriage Licence and Marriage Certificate.